Mary Haag works with Overseas Missionary Fellowship and has been supported by EBF since 1989, when she first started missionary work in the Philippines. After a year of furlough, she has returned to Phnom Penh, Cambodia, where she serves in the needed area of social development. Please pray for her and send her a note of encouragement as she works hard to further the glory of God.
Mary on Counseling
Counseling is intense discipleship. It provides the amazing opportunity of meeting people in their darkest moments and bringing God’s presence there. My ministry includes providing personal counseling to mostly Cambodians, as well as training and mentoring Cambodians in this ministry of counseling.
Mercy Medical Center
Mary meets weekly with a select group of seven staff at this Christian-based hospital to train in counseling. In addition, she is intensively training one of them as the primary counselor. Along with the counseling class, Mary meets with Sochea for supervision to discuss clients, and they also sometimes see clients together. She is also currently meeting with some staff at MMC for personal counseling.
Phnom Penh Bible School
Mary teaches a 3-credit class in basic counseling to 4th year bible school students.
International Christian Assembly
Mary has joined with two others to expand counseling services at the counseling office in the building at ICA. Jonathan Trotter shares Mary's heart for doing this ministry in the Khmer language for Cambodians. They are also joined by Moch Sovannara, who is a former student of Mary’s and who received an MA in counseling from Baylor University.
Royal University of Phnom Penh
Mary meets informally with Christian psychology and Christian sociology students for training and mentoring.
Pray for Mary
(note that for confidentiality reasons, initials are given instead of full client names)
- That God has opened the way for me to continue my work in Cambodia.
- Thank God for opening the door for me to get EMDR training, for the provision of funds, for a place to stay throughout, and for the funds to cover future Skype consultation sessions.
- Thank God for all those who continue faithfully with me during this time of Home Assignment.
- That God will enable and bless each one of us in this task.
- That God will bring EMDR clients to me according to my competence at this point…and bless with healing!
- That God enable and provide a car that will be faithful and suitable for the roads in Cambodia, and in my budget.
- For Khmer ability and peace as I settle and readjust to life there.
- For the time to prepare for teaching at one bible school in July. My new computer has messed up my Khmer fonts. Pray for resolve! Also, for the renewed connections with students and places of ministry.